Pulled Pork is a perfect summertime sandwich, but you can also serve it all year like I do. Pulled Pork is so easy to make, it cooks unattended and anyone in your home can add the final touches so there can be even less involvement on mom’s part. I have seen many recipes for pulled pork, and I usually wonder why something so simple can have so many complicated recipes. My recipe has 3 ingredients and I challenge you to find a tastier, easier recipe…go ahead and give it to me, I know you have one…
This is a great “Cooking Around the Car Pool” recipe because you put it in the crock pot and take off for 6 hours. I like to bring my crock pot on our annual beach vacation and put the pork in before we go to the beach for the day. It is such a tasty and easy alternative to hamburgers for dinner. And the leftovers reheat very well, too.
I buy the cheapest pork I can find and the biggest I can find, usually I buy Pork Butt. The fat you see on this cut of meat only adds to the flavor, so don’t shy away from this cut. Then buy some apple juice, and your favorite bottled barbeque sauce.
I like to eat my pork with cold slaw on it, but my children love it with cheese. I like a crusty roll, but my children like a soft sandwich roll. But all these variations are easy to have on hand so everyone is happy.
Serve this with a salad or some baked beans and you have a meal.
3-4 lbs. Pork Butt
1 cup of apple juice
1 ½ bottles of barbeque sauce – I love KC Masterpiece but Sweet Baby Rays is so good too.
Rolls - of your choice
Optional: Grocery store or homemade cold slaw, sliced cheddar or provolone or mozzarella cheese.
1. Cut the pork butt in half and place in your crock pot.
2. Add 1 cup of apple juice to the crock pot.
3. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
4. When done, drain the apple juice, and then use a fork to shred the pork. If you see large clumps of fat, you can remove them at this time.
5. Add the barbeque sauce, or if you have a favorite barbeque sauce recipe, then use that.
6. Serve. Refrigerate the leftovers and then see how fast they disappear!