Dear Fitness Coach,
Ten years ago I used to be that guy. You know the one I am talking about: the one who hit the gym every night and was in amazing shape, complete with 3-D abs and great delt def. Well fast-forward a decade, add in a wife, 60-hour work week and two kids, and you have that other guy. You know the one I am talking about: the one you see at the kids’ Saturday morning soccer game with the slumped-over shoulders and big gut. Do you think I can ever get back to being that first guy?
Since it took you a better part of a decade to put on the fat and lose the muscle, reversing that will not happen overnight. Obliterating belly fat takes hard work. It’s a lifestyle change where not only do you have to eat clean and exercise, but probably, most importantly, bring down those stress levels that inevitably increase with more responsibility. The following tips, in order of importance, can help you jump-start your progress, so you can get back to that lean athletic guy you once were!
- Reduce your cortisol (stress hormone) levels.
- Get at least 8 hours of shut-eye.
- Eliminate processed foods.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Lift heavy and lift often.
- HIIT it with high-intensity interval training.
- Eat five small meals a day.
- Drink two protein shakes a day.
- Eat more fiber.
- Switch up your workout routine monthly.