South Row to Participate in International Walk to School Day
The following is an announcement from the South Row School
On Wednesday, South Row will join thousands of schools from all 50 US states and 40 countries around the world for the 2012 International Walk to School Day.
Walk from home, meet a friend and walk, or walk from one of the following locations:
Immanuel Church (.33 mile walk)
301 Boston Rd. to South Row
Depart by: 8:40am
Murphy Soccer Fields (.5 mile walk)
Walking route: Raymond Rd. to Mill Rd. to South Row
Depart by: 8:35am
Corner of Sandra Drive and Parlee Road (.75 mile walk)
Walking route: Parlee Rd. to Wildes Rd. to Boston Rd./South Row
Depart by: 8:25am
Friendly’s Restaurant (1.5 mile walk)
20 Boston Rd. to South Row
Depart by: 8:10am
Departure times are average suggested times to help you plan arrival at school between 8:50am and 9:00am. If you are biking, have fast walkers, or prefer a slower pace, please adjust your departure time accordingly.
- Park-and-walk locations are not “drop off” locations. They are locations with identified parking and sidewalks leading to school. Children walking or biking from these locations should be accompanied by an adult family member or friend. Older children who walk independently must have parental permission and know how to walk to school following pedestrian safety rules.
- Let everyone know! Walkers are encouraged to make signs celebrating the day and wear bright colors for safety sake. Wearing bright colors was one of the important points emphasized by SRTS Pedestrian Safety Educators who visit South Row students and talk with them about safe walking practices.
- Please walk to the front of the school! Please remember to walk to the front door for entry into school. DO NOT cut across the parking lot in back through the traffic flow of the drop off car line. If you are arriving from the Mill Road side of the building, stay on the sidewalk and walk around to the front of the building. Students will be permitted to enter not earlier than 8:50am, so time your walk to arrive between then and 9:00am.
- Riding your bike? Remember, 3rd and 4th graders riding independently must have a permission slip turned into Dr. McMahon’s office. Students riding with their parents do not need a permission slip for Walk or Bike to School days.
- Walking with your dog? Walking with your dog is fun! But if your dog walks with you to school, please do not bring him/her near to the school where students wait to enter the building. Dogs like to talk to each other too, and their loud voices can be frightening to some students. All dogs should stop near the South Row School sign if coming from the Boston Road side of the building, or by the bicycle rack if coming from the Mill side of the building.
- Are you an afternoon Kindergarten student? You can walk to school too! Walk from home, a friend’s house or one of the park and walk locations. And if you do, please stop into the office to celebrate the news and get your SRTS pencil.
- Have a camera? Please snap some pics so we can post them on our Safe Routes to School bulletin board. We are also collecting pictures to submit to the local papers and to the National Center for Safe Routes to School organization for an article about what we’ve been doing with SRTS at South Row.
- A note about the weather… There may be a small chance of a few scattered showers in tomorrow’s forecast, so bring an umbrella—it can be fun to walk (and sing) in the rain! Walk to School events are scheduled during fair weather months (no-snow months) and are cancelled only in the event of thunder or lightening. Walking in all kinds of weather can be fun and healthy, but we want our students to be safe, so if the weather is severe please use your regular method of transportation to school!